Friends of the Garden, Springfield, Missouri, News Release
July 10, 2012—for immediate release
By Jeanne Duffey
NEW EVENT: FRIENDS OF THE GARDEN ‘MUSIC ON THE ROOF’ JULY 21, 2012, AT SPRINGFIELD BOTANICAL GARDENS
“Music on the Roof,” a new all-day event sponsored by the Friends of the Garden on July 21, 2012, will use as its venue the Roof Garden Plaza atop the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center in Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park, the home of Springfield Botanical Gardens.
The live music event is free and open to the public and features a variety of area performers from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. “It’s only fitting,” said Friends of the Garden volunteer Cindy Willis, “that we begin our ‘Music on the Roof’ line-up of performances with a fiddler.” Tara Kizer, a Missouri State University Concert Master violinist, is one of 11 performances throughout the day.
Here is the complete schedule:
· 9-9:50 a.m., Tara Kizer, Violin/fiddle
· 10-10:50 a.m., Sagegrass Revival, Bluegrass
· 11 a.m., Allison Steiner Violin Studio, Violinists
· Noon-12:50 a.m., Aasha, Pop/dance music
· 1-1:30 p.m., Motion Playlist Studio, Music/ Dance
· 1:30-2 p.m., Austin Handley, Acoustic guitar
· 2-2:25 p.m., Cindy Tucker, Contemporary Christian country singer/songwriter
· 2:25-2:50 p.m., Linda Stewart, Contemporary Christian singer/songwriter
· 3-4:50 p.m., Various performers from Branson Shows
· 5-5:50 p.m., Luna Jamboree, Alternative
· 6:15 -7 p.m., Bert Smith and The Walk, a blend of Christian, Gospel, Blues, & Rock
On that same day, July 21, at Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park, the fourth annual Friends of the Garden Butterfly Festival will be in full swing from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Admission and all activities, including the popular Dr. Bill Roston Native Butterfly House, Caterpillar Petting Zoo, games, crafts and costume contests, are free although donations are welcome. Proceeds will help Friends of the Garden members create and build a Butterfly Host Garden.
The Springfield Botanical Gardens composed of 20 themed gardens, 15 special collections and five naturalized areas within the 114-acre park located at 2400 S. Scenic Ave. are created and maintained by the volunteer members of the Friends of the Garden, Master Gardeners of Greene County and other volunteer organizations and the staff of the Springfield-Greene County Park Board.
Friends of the Garden tax-deductible $25 annual memberships, which include admission to the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden, 10% discount on merchandise at the Botanical Boutique and Marketplace and a one-year subscription to Greene Magazine, can be purchased at the Botanical Center. Contributions to the Friends of the Garden Growth and Maintenance Fund can be sent to P.O. Box 8566, Springfield, Missouri 65801.
For more information, visit www.FriendsoftheGarden.org or Facebook at Friends of the Garden Butterfly Festival http://www.facebook.com/friendsofthegarden#!/events/222718997830777/