- Category: Informative Articles
- Hits: 112
Friends of the Garden’s Annual Report, Where We’ve Been 2015 – Where We’re Going 2016; Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center & Gardens
Springfield Botanical Gardens Report by Katie Steinhoff, Botanical Center Coordinator. This is the text from a PowerPoint presentation to Friends of the Garden on January 14, 2016.
Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center & Gardens:
• Visitation and Program Statistics
• 60,645 visitors inside the Botanical Center
• 31,000 visitors at the Dr. Bill Roston Native Butterfly House
• 252,500 cars carrying 757,600 people (Industry average, three person per vehicle including busses, cars, etc.)
• Out of Town Visitors – 37 states signed the guest book. England, Japan, Mexico and the 2015 NCS Envirothon – included 44 states and Canada.
•Fieldtrips – 90 tram tours, Gray-Campbell Farmstead, Butterfly House or classroom programs by Parks and other partners
Missouri Department of Conservation TRIM Grant:
• Parks was awarded over $18,000 for a TRIM Grant to conduct a tree inventory and software to continue to manage the living collection. After established, we will pursue Arboretum accreditation by the Morton Arboretum ‘ArbNet’ standard.
Partial List 2016 Park Partner Events of Interest:
• April 2 – Kite Festival
• April 30 – Master Gardeners of Greene County Plant Sale
• May 6 – National Public Gardens Day / Butterfly House opens
• June 18 – Daylily Exhibit; Bark in the Park
• June 25 – Young Sprouts and Butterfly Festival
• July 10 – Teddy Bear Picnic
• Sept 9-11 – Japanese Fall Festival
• Sept 17-18 – Gray-Campbell Farmstead 1860s Lifestyles
• Oct 14-15 — Romance in the Garden
• November-December – Christmas Lights in the Gardens (we hope)
Groups earn the ‘Park Partner’ status with the combined effort of having a mission or core value in supporting the Springfield Botanical Gardens; has adopted/committed to an attraction or activity; leadership has a background release; provide at least 100 hours of service.
2015 Volunteer Statistics:
• 21,642 volunteer hours in 2015 from registered volunteers
• 500 hours from single day workdays from community groups
• Equivalent of 11 full-time staff members
• Estimated value of a volunteer hour is $21.30 in Missouri, which is the equivalent of receiving a donation of $471, 582
2016 Volunteer Training Dates:
• Thursday, Feb. 11th at 4 pm
• Tuesday, March 22nd at 9 am
• Call 417-891-1515 (Botanical Center Front Desk) to register. Light refreshments will be served.
From the news:
“We are looking for volunteers to assist with garden maintenance, education programs and tours, special events and more,” said Botanical Center Coordinator Katie Steinhoff. “Several garden enthusiast groups maintain the gardens and forge friendships in our lovely garden settings. Here’s your chance to meet other plant lovers and learn more about gardens and nature.”